I've Moved!

Hello wayward traveler - I thank you for visiting my blog.

I have recently moved to Wordpress, so I'll be slowly phasing my 'Blogger' blog out. If you've enjoyed my work and would like to keep seeing it, please go to simonaustinpoetry.wordpress.com and you can continue following me and my poetry.

I look forward to seeing you there :)

Simon.

I've Moved!

Hello wayward traveler - I thank you for visiting my blog.

I have recently moved to Wordpress, so I'll be slowly phasing my 'Blogger' blog out. If you've enjoyed my work and would like to keep seeing it, please go to simonaustinpoetry.wordpress.com and you can continue following me and my poetry.

I look forward to seeing you there :)

Simon.

Sunday 29 May 2011

Paper Lanterns

Oh little lantern,
So delicate,
So pale.
Frail; nothing more than thinly bound paper
Stretched over fragile quills
And filled with emptiness;
Effortless the wind that blows you
And shows you the way
To the ends of the sky
And the place of our birth
At the ends of the earth where the tears of the world
Build the clouds that will swell
When we cry.

A tenuous traveller
Cast to the heavens with a message,
A vestige of hope, carry love
On the breath of the last
To the ones that have passed and have left us behind,
Little lantern you remind us that we are still here,
Seeing clear in the midnight May sky
Looking up to the place where the face
Of our loved ones smile down.
What a beautiful sight.
Paper lantern, please take up our prayers,
For nobody cares more than we do
This night.

You fill up your sails
With the heat of our hearts
And it starts to release you from bonds
That you bore since the day you were picked
From the floor.
Oh frail lantern, as you swell with a fire
To fulfil your one purpose entire.
Please build up your strength for you carry
And marry a piece of our hearts and our souls,
As your goal is no more than to passage,
To shoulder our message to loved ones that stand
With the ageless divine, beyond the very fragments
Of time.

Little lantern you will soon soar on high,
To a place in the sky where we cannot follow,
Our sorrow is deep but we will not keep it
For you will soon take away sadness,
With gladness and help us adjust to the loss.
Delicate paper, enrapture our feelings;
The ceilings of heaven cannot keep you,
For your destination is far from the reaches of all
But you cannot here stall as you cradle despair,
To disperse in the air as you travel,
Unravel these feelings of anguish
Please vanquish these thoughts and scatter their scars
Far and beyond the most distant of stars.

Paper lantern we thank you for staying,
We’re praying that one day we’ll travel with you
To that very same place,
Where we’ll once again look on the face
Of our dear loved ones lost,
For they wait in an Eden, far from our side
But not from our hearts, deep inside
Where they stay here, forever.
Endeavour, little lantern, to carry our love
High above all the clouds that are filled with our tears.
Vanquish fears we’ll forget you,
We regret that you left but are thankful
We had you at all.


Though your life was a flash,
It was stunningly bright,
For you far outshone all other stars in the night.
And as we send up the lantern
To say our goodbye,
Your star shines forever in an endless night sky.

Copyright © 2011 by Simon Austin 


Forever dedicated to my uncle, Ronald Austin and family xxx

1 comment: